Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Homemade Pesto: The Right Way


Last night my mom asked me why I like Autumn so much.

Autumn has always been my favorite season, but I never really knew why, so I said, "Happy memories, happy feelings."

And its true! Just thinking about Autumn puts the biggest smile on my face. I could list off everything that makes me happy.. and I will :)
There's: Halloween, my birthday, leaves changing colors, crisp air, wearing big sweaters, boots, Thanksgiving, baking, family events, candles, tea, snuggling, smiling... ohhh how I could make this list infinite!

But with Autumn arriving, that means summer and all of its beauty is slowly dying.
My family basil plant being one of those dying things!

To preserve all that we have left from our mini out-door garden, I took all the leaves about a week ago and I put them in a jar and put it in the freezer. They were picked at peak freshness and frozen to be used later.

That later: would be today.

I bring to you my fresh homemade pesto recipe. Done the right way! Everyone claims their recipe is better, but let's be real.

My recipe is the best.


The fresh basil, the combination of capers and sun dried tomatoes, and all the love that gets put into this recipe is what really makes it special.

I really like making my own condiments. I'm still trying to perfect my homemade peanut butter recipe, and when I get it right I'll share it with you all! But in the mean time, this pesto recipe should hold you over.

I like to eat it over some toast with eggs. Yummyyummyyummy!



Emily's Homemade Pesto, Done the Right Way!
(This is a small serving. If you have a big family or want to make a big batch, just double/triple the ingredients)

Ingredients:
1 packed cup of fresh basil
4 tsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic
1 sun dried tomato with 1 teaspoon of its oil
1 tsp capers
1 handful of pine nuts and walnuts
((Optional: green food coloring and salt))
This is how much garlic I used... I LOVE garlic,
but my mom hates it so I had to use it
sparingly

  1. Take a skillet/frying pan and put one teaspoon of olive oil in it and heat it up
    • Take your handful of walnuts and pine nuts and put them in the pan at moderately high heat. Stir them around for about 5 minutes or until golden. Don't burn them!
    • When they're toasted, turn off the burner and let them cool
  2. Put the basil in the food processor and just give it like 2 pulses. 
    • Then place the toasted nuts in and turn the food processor on for a few seconds.
  3. Add in your capers, sun dried tomato (with a teaspoon of its oil), and 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
    • Pulse/turn it on until you get a slightly creamier mixture.
  4. Take your garlic clove and chop it up. I only used a very small amount of garlic (my mom hates garlic!) But if your a garlic gal put in as much as you want.
  5. Add in the last teaspoon of olive oil and turn on the food processor.
At this point, decide what else you need/what other flavors you want your pesto to have. I recommend some grated parmesan cheese or some garlic salt. I went au natural for my recipe, but add in whatever makes you happy.

Additional side note: If your recipe is turning out not as green as you would like, I suggest putting in 1 or 2 drops of green food coloring. If the color doesn't bother you, then keep it natural!

And there you have it: delicious homemade pesto

Put it on toast or in pasta<3


Enjoy,
Emily








Me being cozy and studious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?