Sunday, June 24, 2012

Beach Snack Essentials


Although being in a bathing suit may seem like the time to skip breakfast/lunch, the opposite is in fact true. 
I always thought that if I didn't eat breakfast before I went to the beach, then I wouldn't have my dreadful "food baby".... oh yeah, you know what I'm talking about. But after doing some research, I've learned that skipping a meal can actually make my stomach even more bloated and uncomfortable.
By not eating at meal time, your body will break down the sugars in your muscles so that your body can stay functioning. This process is what causes the bloating. And by skipping a meal, you will also slow down your metabolism and retain water, hence the protruding blob of skin with the food baby.  This is why it is important NOT to skip a meal, especially before going somewhere where you will be showing off your tummy. Just keep some healthy snacks in your beach bag to snack on throughout the day to keep your metabolism and body in balance.

Here are a few snacks and things that I usually bring in my beach/pool bag: 
  • WATER!: This is absolutely essential. Especially since the beach and the hot sand can get over a hundred degrees where I live. I fill up my 32oz Nalgene water bottle with lots of ice and water and I wrap it in my a towel and let it sit in my beach bag, all covered up so the sun doesn't melt the ice. I don't bring a cooler or anything to the beach, so this is the best way to keep my drink cold. 

  • Trail Mix: I don't like buying store bought trail mix because I ALWAYS get a belly bomb after eating it. Who can stop at just one serving? I end up eating the whole bag.. :(  So I usually just like to make my own trailmix in a little portion controlled ziploc snack bag. I like to add in some type of nut for protein, my favorites are salted pistachios, salted almonds, or roasted peanuts! Adding in some raisins or dried fruit give the snack some sweetness without the artificial sugars like the m&m's and other candies that are in the store bought trailmixes. The last thing I like to throw into my trailmix is something bready like some pretzels, some salty chex mix, or some goldfish. I love munching on this stuff when I hit the beach! 
Pumpkin seeds, almonds, chex, walnuts, raisins, sunflower seeds, and my guilty pleasure: peanut butter chips :)

  • Veggie Sticks: Some sliced carrots, peppers, and maybe greenbeans are also a really good thing to pack because they don't really get mushy like fruit does, and they are filling and full of water to keep me hydrated. I especially like these veggies in preference over others because they stay firm and crunchy even when they get hot.

I don't like bringing fruit to the beach because since I don't bring a cooler, fruit just gets mushy and gross in my beach bag. But for the most part, this is what I bring to the beach. I don't like to buy food at the concession stand because it is way too overpriced, full of belly-bulging bad stuff, and plus the line just takes forever to order food! 
So here are my suggestions for the next time you go to the pool, beach, or waterpark!

Thanks for reading, happy summer!
Emily


This article has some other cool snack ideas too:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?