Monday, September 3, 2012

Banana Protein Muffins!!

Hey everyone, I have exciting news.... drum rollllllll....
This is my first recipe post!!! Yay

Sooo what does a girl do when all of her friends are at a concert and she is home bored out of her mind but isn't productive enough to actually do homework...?

Well other than eating her feelings away in peanut butter and pancakes because she couldn't go...
She bakes
nom

Today I have for you Banana Protein Muffins. Each muffin is only 150 calories, really healthy, and has 9 grams of protein. Did I mention nom? Because if I didn't, I'll say it again. nomnomnom

Since this is my first post, tell me if you like the way I set it up with the pictures and everything. This blog is ever-evolving and I need your feedback so I know what works and what doesn't work.

Alrighty, here we go.
So these are all of the lovely ingredients. I only used 2 bananas, but I suggest 3 if you want a moist muffin. Mine did turn about a bit drier than I would have liked. 

So first, you're going to want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

 Then in a large mixing bowl, combine the bananas, oil, and egg whites. I put in a few splashes of vanilla extract as well.


I had a lot of trouble cracking the eggs to get the whites

But this does look pretty cool

Oops, some yolk got in! Oh well

So yeah, mix it all together

Mix mix mix mix mix

I can't tell if this looks delicious or gross


In a second bowl, combine the flax seed, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.


I wasn't sure how many scoops of protein powder equalled a cup, so I used 3 scoops. It ended up fitting into the measuring cup perfectly!



Isn't this a cute little sugar jar?

Throw in some cinnamon for good measure



 Now combine all of the ingredients together and stir!


stir stir stir
You will get a beautiful flaxy mixture like this


Now pour the batter into a muffin tin


Beautiful!
Now pop the muffins into the oven for 12-15 minutes. I put mine in for 12 but then added an extra minute after that becuase I thought they were still wet. But once they are cooled they will dry out, so I suggest 12 minutes.

While I was waiting, I got hungry...or maybe just bored. Does anyone else do this to their banana peels? The inside of the peel is the best for scraping!
nom
Ugh I hate thinking about school. This is what I was supposed to be doing instead of baking. Snore.





Yay, the muffins should come out like this
This one looks funny, hehe 




Fabuloso.

Please make the recipe and tell me how it works out for you!



Recipe/Ingredients:
1/2   cup ground flax seeds
3   medium-large bananas
1/4   cup vegetable oil
2   egg whites
1   cup protein powder (I used vanilla whey)
1/2   teaspoon baking powder
1/2   teaspoon baking soda
3/2   tablespoon sugar
vanilla extract
cinnamon


  1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees and lightly grease your muffin pan 
  2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together bananas, oil, vanilla, and egg whites.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients (flax, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon)
  4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir
  5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.
  7. You can top with a slice of banana, add in cranberries, and/or other flavorings as you wish.

Yields: 10 muffins


Love you all!!!--Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?